Friday, August 24, 2007

And so it starts

Chicago skyline from Lake Michigan

Just finished my first week of classes and oh goodness, this is the point of no return. I'm not going to say that it's the most I've ever studied in my life (yet) but I've never had 11 lectures of biochemistry lectures in a week! By this afternoon, my brain was seriously overdosing on information and the color was draining from everyone's faces. And to think that they're slowly easing us into the curriculum--we're starting off with Biochemistry and Physiology before piling on the other five courses.

So much has happened in the last two weeks that everything prior to moving to Chicago feels far too long ago. Seriously hard to imagine my carefree summer days
had truly existed. So my mom and I flew out to Chicago (also known as Chicagoland or Chi-town) a couple of days before orientation. Orientation itself was three full days of talks, informat ion, meeting people, etc. Like most orientations, there were interesting parts and also drier, more monotonous parts. I think they really liked scaring us, though, about how much of a time commitment this will be, how we might not be able to talk to our friends outside of med school for months at a time, how it brings the best and worst of us, etc etc.

Exploring downtown with the family

Chicago has a huge American Girl store filled with little girls running and squeaming around. These overpriced dolls scare me. Oh yeah, they have a hair salon where for $20, you can style your American Girl with the top hairstyles of the month!!

White Coat Ceremony

UIC College of Medicine's campus



No comments: